Transfer Planning and Resources

It is never too early to start planning for transfer. In fact, we recommend students meet with a transfer counselor during their first semester of study, if they are planning on transferring to a four-year college or university. While some students begin their education at Hudson Valley Community College already with a clearly defined transfer plan, others may be less certain. No matter where you fall in this continuum, the Center for Careers and Transfer can assist you in achieving your long range educational goals.

Transfer planning involves a series of steps, and a transfer counselor can help you successfully navigate through this process. Below are some guidelines you can follow for successful transfer to a four-year school.

Meet With a Transfer Counselor

Even the most independent students can benefit from meeting with a transfer counselor for assistance with various stages of the transfer process. You can meet with one of our professional staff, one-on-one, during a scheduled appointment to address any of your transfer needs. Students are also seen on a walk-in basis, pending the availability of a counselor, to answer quick questions related to transfer. To schedule an appointment, stop by the office or contact us by phone.

Determine Your Career Goals

A preliminary step to successful transfer planning is determining your career goals, since transfer planning is inherently tied into career planning. If you are undecided about a career path, we advise you to begin a self-assessment/career exploration process immediately. You can do this independently or with the assistance of a counselor. For additional career information and services, students are advised to visit the Center for Careers and Transfer.

Choose a Major

Deciding on a major is easier, once you have determined your career goals. However, you will need to consider two questions:

  1. What is the appropriate major at the four-year college to prepare me for my chosen career path?
  2. What is the corresponding Hudson Valley major that will maximize transfer of credits into the four-year program of choice?

Sometimes, the answers to these questions are not as obvious as they would seem.

For example: a student who wants to pursue a bachelor degree in accounting. One might assume that the Hudson Valley's Accounting A.A.S. program would be the appropriate major. However, in most cases, it is our Business Administration A.S. program that would be the best choice, since this program is specifically designed for transfer purposes. In general, graduating with this degree will assure junior status at a four-year college, regardless of the desired business emphasis (e.g., accounting, marketing, management, or finance). In contrast, our Accounting A.A.S. program is primarily intended for students who are seeking an entry level position in the accounting field.

Make Appropriate Course Selections

Once you have selected the appropriate major, you can further maximize transfer of credits through appropriate course selections. Hudson Valley Community College has many formal articulation agreements with four-year institutions, and these agreements often detail specific course recommendations (particularly use of elective credits) for optimal transfer. In the absence of such formal agreements, course selections are best determined by consulting with the four-year college of choice. Check with a transfer counselor in our office for advisement in this area.

Transfer and General Education Requirements

Nearly all colleges and universities have predetermined courses that all students are required to complete, in addition to their selected degree program requirements. These courses are usually referred to as General Education or Liberal Arts requirements, and typically include courses in areas such as math, science, humanities and social science.

In the fall of 2000, the State University of New York instituted universal General Education requirements for all colleges and universities within the SUNY system. Courses meeting the SUNY General Education requirements are identified in the College Catalog.

Students planning to transfer to a private or out of state public college or university are encouraged to come see us, as we do have guidelines for other schools in regards to meeting their General Education requirements.

Investigate Colleges/Universities

Selecting a transfer college/university requires you to compare your goals and preferences to the characteristics of particular colleges. Students often don’t know how to begin the selection process. Keep in mind that just because a school is generally recognized as “good” does not mean that it will necessarily be good for you.

In researching four-year colleges, you will first need to determine whether a given school offers your desired program of study. Other factors to consider in the selection process include location, cost, size, accreditations, faculty/student ratio, geographic area (i.e., urban, suburban or rural), housing, etc. There are numerous resources available.

Transfer Resources

To assist students with researching transfer opportunities, the Center for Careers and Transfer maintains an extensive library of college catalogs, videos and reference books. You can visit the office and utilize these resources independently, or with the assistance of a counselor.

There also are numerous online resources available that can aid you in the process of transfer planning. Below is a list of links to external sites that we think are most helpful.

Narrow Down Choices

Once you have investigated transfer colleges suitable for your desired major, it will be important to narrow down your choices soon for optimal transfer planning. As noted above, your course selections at Hudson Valley may vary depending on the specific requirements of each transfer institution. It is generally advisable to narrow down your selections to about three to five schools. While one or two colleges may represent your ideal choice, it is important to have a back up plan. Be realistic in your selections, especially in terms of cost and GPA requirements. Obviously, the higher your GPA is at Hudson Valley, the more choices you will have in transfer colleges.

If possible, visit the campus of any college you are seriously considering, and talk with students, faculty, and admissions counselors. Try to decide if you would be happy in this environment. Also, find out if admissions representatives from colleges in which you are interested plan to visit our campus by checking our events calendar. If so, plan to attend these scheduled visits.

Decide When to Transfer

It is not necessary to complete your associate degree before you transfer, but in most cases it is beneficial to do so. The exception to this rule would be those situations where completion of the degree would result in a substantial loss of transfer credits. Otherwise, there are many advantages to completing your associate degree, prior to transferring, including the following:

  • Savings in tuition
  • Sense of closure and accomplishment
  • SUNY application fee is waived (can apply to up to seven SUNY schools for free)
  • SUNY Transfer Guarantee Program for A.A. and A.S. degrees
  • Some colleges will waive their General Education Requirements for students with an A.A. or A.S. degree
  • Less emphasis placed on high school grades and/or SAT scores for students who completed their associate degree

Finalize Your Plans

You have done all the necessary planning, now it is time to apply to your chosen transfer colleges. Generally, the time to apply is the semester before you plan to transfer, although you may need to apply earlier in some cases. Since application deadlines can vary, it is important to plan ahead. In addition to completing applications, you will need to send copies of your transcripts and, in some cases, letters of recommendations.

Transfer and the Application Process

Applications for many four-year colleges and universities are available in the Center for Careers and Transfer. These include the general SUNY application, most local private colleges, and many other colleges in and out of the state. We also have reference books with the addresses and phone numbers of colleges and universities throughout the United States.

Online Applications
Most four-year schools encourage students to apply online. Check out the links below for online applications to the college of your choice.

Local Colleges/Universities

Can I still apply?
Deadlines for applications can vary, so make sure you inquire early.

Sending Transcripts
You will need to send an official copy of your Hudson Valley Community College transcript to each college/university you apply. Official transcript requests must be made in writing, and are handled through the Registrar’s Office. Click here for more information.

CEEB Codes
Four-year college applications usually request a CEEB Code for schools previously attended. The CEEB Code for Hudson Valley Community College is 2300.

For other CEEB Codes, use CEEB Codes Locater.

Letters of Recommendation
Some colleges/universities require letters of recommendations from applicants. It is usually best to obtain these from a few of your instructors, coach or advisor who know you well. Keep in mind that, while most faculty would be glad to assist you in this process, they have busy schedules. So, don’t wait until the last minute! Allow at least two weeks to receive a letter of recommendation from the time of your request.

Get in Touch

Center for Careers and Transfer
Siek Campus Center, Suite 290

Regular Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Summer 2024 Hours (May 20 - July 26): Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Friday, Closed