Meet Sayema M.

Biological Sciences graduate

${alt}
“There are resources here to help you excel at every aspect of your life.”

Dissecting a deer heart in a high school biology class sealed the deal for Sayema Matin. “Everyone else in the class was really grossed out, but I thought it was great,” she said with a laugh. “I knew then that I wanted to study biology.”

Sayema graduated in the college’s Biological Sciences program in 2019 and after completing her bachelor’s degree she hopes to attend medical school. She said the decision to attend Hudson Valley instead of a four-year college after high school was based on several factors but she’s glad she made the choice.

“I think Hudson Valley really prepared me to succeed at a four-year school,” she said. “The biology program here was great, so academically I knew I was making a good choice, but I also got the opportunity to get involved in so many things on campus.”

Get involved? She did. In addition to excelling in the classroom, the Waterford-Halfmoon High School graduate took on leadership roles in the Student Senate, Foreign Language and Culture Club and Phi Theta Kappa academic honor society. She also was one of four Hudson Valley students in 2019 to receive the prestigious SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence.

“I think people should come to Hudson Valley because there are resources here to help you excel at every aspect of your life.”