Filing a Complaint

The first course of action to resolve a complaint includes notifying the parties or administration involved. Concerns submitted through the process outlined on the webpage will be received by the Office of the President and forwarded to the appropriate vice president for review.

The State University System, Office of University Life provides resources for unresolved student life concerns, and also the NYS Education Department provides guidelines for Filing a Complaint about a College and a complaint form. An unresolved complaint may be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education based on the Middle States Commission Complaints Policy (PDF).

Complaint Resolution for Online Students

All student grievances with online courses are to follow the same procedures as on-campus courses. Students taking online classes offered by Hudson Valley Community College while residing in states other than New York should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with the college first. The college's complaint procedures, including the Grade Grievance Procedure, as well as procedures for complaints concerning bias and discrimination are available in the College Catalog, under [Loading Policies and Procedures link…].

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, an out-of-state student may file a complaint with the New York State Department of Education. The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) provides resources relating to state authorization of distance education.

This is in compliance with U.S. Department of Education's Program Integrity Regulations related to State Authorization.