Meet Severina R.

Human Services Graduate

${alt}
“I'm going to celebrate this graduation, because I put a lot of work into this. You need to celebrate the triumphs in your life.”

When Severina Rivers was a young girl growing up in Trinidad, she had a special affection for her elders. Her grandmother, her great aunt and others in her village became her confidants and, in turn, she took care of them and they had a special place in her heart.

These day, Severina, who has been a Certified Nursing Assistant for more than a dozen years at Saint Peter's Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, still cares for the elderly. She will you tell you that, to her, it is a special calling to help those nearing the end of their lives, and their families.

"Working with the families, it's so important to give them a sense of peace while they are going through the grieving process. It's a gift to work with these people," she said. "And to go to school to fulfill that gift and understand the professional side; I knew I had to continue my education."

Two years ago, Severina crossed the graduation platform earning a certificate in Bereavement Studies. Today, she graduates with a degree in Human Services, and hopes to continue her education through the bachelor's degree program that Cazenovia College hosts on campus.

"I'm going to celebrate this graduation, because I put a lot of work into this. You need to celebrate the triumphs in your life, big or small."